Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why e-filing MN State property tax refund forces e-file Fed return which was done weeks ago?

Dear TT Experts,

I am trying to e-file my Minnesota Property Tax Refund form, but TT insists that I must file (transmit) the Federal Return again which was completed weeks ago.

If I press Continue, will I be transmitting my Federal Return to the IRS again and cause confusion?

Thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Why e-filing MN State property tax refund forces e-file Fed return which was done weeks ago?

The Minnesota Property Tax Refund form cannot be electronically filed if you have already filed your state return.  It must be mailed in.  Please see this FAQ for more details.

[Edited 5/7/24|1:52pm PST]

@loyal-but---user 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The FAQ in the link provided says:

"Yes, you can file your M1PR when you prepare your Minnesota taxes in TurboTax."

And TT clearly allows me to efile the M1PR. My problem is that TT also seems to want to "refile" the Fed return even though I have already efiled my Fed return AND received my Fed refund.

IRS won't ACCEPT a second e-FILE. 

TurboTax should skip trying a second time.

If TurboTax sees Fed REJECTED, the state action may be cancelled.

@loyal-but---user 

I e-filed my Fed return several weeks ago and, in fact, I have already received my Fed refund.

I am just trying now to file my Minnesota State property tax refund Form M1PR, but TT shows it is going to e-file my Fed return again as well. If I de-select to e-file my Fed return, then the M1PR also gets changed to mailing only.

What is going on? Why does TT insist on transmitting the Fed return again? What must I do to e-file my MN State property tax refund without further delays?

Thank you so much!

TurboTax should skip trying a second time.

Give it a shot.

@loyal-but---user 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies