Why do i need to confirm my spouses information if...

brodri28

Why do i need to confirm my spouses information if i am filing single?

ToddL99

Are you married or were you married in 2020?

If you were legally married as of the end of 2020 you cannot file Single.    Your filing choices are married filing separately or married filing jointly.

If I am filing a separate return why do I have to list my spouse’s information on my return?

Even if you file separate returns (the worst way to file) you each have to list each other's SSN's and some other information on your own tax return.  The IRS can then cross check to make sure you are not "double dipping" for itemized deductions, dependents, etc.

If you are in a community property state, there is more information that will be needed.

Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states