Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the line in Box 10: State where dividends are earned used for? And why doesn't the Out of State Tax exempt interest move to the AZ state tax form when I use AZ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the line in Box 10: State where dividends are earned used for? And why doesn't the Out of State Tax exempt interest move to the AZ state tax form when I use AZ?

In my 1099-DIV for 2018 the tax exempt interest is shown on Box 11.  It is most likely that very little of you tax exempt dividends come from Arizona, ergo you should select the "More than one state" option on the drop down menu.  Also DON"T check the box beside "I earned tax exempt dividends from more than one state".  The fact that you entered "More than one state" in the drop down is sufficient.  Also make sure that your 1099-DIV has an amount entered on Line 11.  I live in GA and when I followed the above directions, opened my GA return, that exact amount had been entered on "Interest on Non Georgia Municipal and State Bonds" of GA Schedule 1.  I would imagine that some of your dividends are earned in Arizona.  These would not be subject to Arizona taxes.  However, you would probably have to contact each company and find out what percentage of your dividend came from Arizona.  This would be a very time consuming process and in the long run I think that the little you would save would not be worth the time and effort of locating and entering it.  Personally, I don't waste my time with this procedure.  Hope this helped.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Are you using 2017, or 2018 desktop software?
IF using the 2017 software for doing a late 2017 tax return...go back thru the 1099-DIV form and make sure the $$ are in box 10 for 2017, AND that "More than ones state" is properly selected on the follow-up page....either for the whole amount, or in the breakdown amount below if you broke out some AZ $$.

Still a problem....Customer Support:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

In my 1099-DIV for 2018 the tax exempt interest is shown on Box 11.  It is most likely that very little of you tax exempt dividends come from Arizona, ergo you should select the "More than one state" option on the drop down menu.  Also DON"T check the box beside "I earned tax exempt dividends from more than one state".  The fact that you entered "More than one state" in the drop down is sufficient.  Also make sure that your 1099-DIV has an amount entered on Line 11.  I live in GA and when I followed the above directions, opened my GA return, that exact amount had been entered on "Interest on Non Georgia Municipal and State Bonds" of GA Schedule 1.  I would imagine that some of your dividends are earned in Arizona.  These would not be subject to Arizona taxes.  However, you would probably have to contact each company and find out what percentage of your dividend came from Arizona.  This would be a very time consuming process and in the long run I think that the little you would save would not be worth the time and effort of locating and entering it.  Personally, I don't waste my time with this procedure.  Hope this helped.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies