Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OldNavySubSailor
Returning Member

What do I do when a W2C has the all the Correct Information zeroed out?

My son passed away in January and I was filling out his taxes. I was using the "previously reported" information to report his taxes via TurboTax as I have in the past. Yesterday, we got a Corrected W2 and TurboTax asks about it and then wants the "Correct Information" entered. That would in essence zero out his entire tax report.  That sounds nuts!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I'm assuming the form you received looks something like this, with only one or two boxes filled out in the corrected column. Is that correct?

If so, they are only reporting the corrections and some employers do not fill out the form completely. You would use the information from the original W2. The only changes or additions you would make are what is listed in the  corrected column. 

For instance, if box 2 is filled in on the W2C, but nothing else, you enter the information from the original W2, with the exception of box 2. Your entry for box 2 would be the amount shown on the corrected form.

Does that make sense?

Let us know if you have more questions.

So sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OldNavySubSailor
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply. 

The form did look like that, except that all the standard industrial wage earner blocks; 1 -  6, 12a & b, 14; were filled in, then Corrected as zero.  I mean how in the world could a company say that a person's entire year's Wages and Federal tax withheld went from what was reported to zero for example. Good grief. 

And in a way, what was worse was that TurboTax having asked about a W2C and then having me enter corrected data, did not red flag a change from large amounts of dollars to zero dollars. 

We finally got hold of someone at the front office after I sent this out , and they told us that a lot of these were sent out in error and to ignore it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies