Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nate47
Returning Member

What county of residence should my nonresident spouse, who is being treated as a US resident for tax purposes, select for our state taxes? (My spouse lives in Europe)

I am electing to treat my nonresident spouse as a US resident for tax purposes (we got married last year and want to file jointly).

For our federal tax return, everything is taken care of. Now, I am working on our state tax return.

I am being asked what my spouse's county of residence is. My spouse lives abroad and has not been in my state (except for a few days in January 2022). Since we are electing to treat her as a US resident, should her county of residence be the same as mine, or should I select "Out-of-state - OTHER STATES?"

Alternatively, I could select "(no entry)," but this throws up a red flag in TurboTax.

Thank you very much for any help/guidance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

What county of residence should my nonresident spouse, who is being treated as a US resident for tax purposes, select for our state taxes? (My spouse lives in Europe)

Yes. Choose “Out-of-state - OTHER STATES?" unless there is also a choice for foreign. This may create a nonresident return.

Some states require you to use the same filing status as federal, so if you are filing a joint federal return, then you will have to file a joint state return and include all her income.

Other states allow you to file separately if one spouse was a nonresident of that state for the full year.

Even if you are filing jointly, it may be better to file a joint federal and separate state, if allowed, to exclude her income.

HOW DO I PREPARE A JOINT FEDERAL RETURN AND SEPARATE STATE RETURNS?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nate47
Returning Member

Dear Ernie,

Thank you very much for your message. A quick Google search revealed that in my state, I must file a joint state return if our federal tax return is filed jointly.

There are no foreign options for the county selection dropdown box, Just "(no entry)" and  “Out-of-state - OTHER STATES".

A note I will make is that I called my state's department of revenue last week and they said that there are country codes that can be entered into that box (my guess is I could do this if I was manually filling out my tax return with a pen). I don't see this option in TurboTax. Happy to hear your thoughts on this if you have any.

For now, I will default to selecting the Other States option.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

- Nate

EDIT: A new questionnaire that had not been presented to me last week has appeared in TurboTax which seems to clarify the situation (see photo). It offers "Other Country" as an option.

Residency.JPG

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. "Other country" will work fine. If your state has specific country codes and you file by mail you can white out and enter those manually.

That's not necessary. I suspect the specific codes are for state record keeping. States almost never have tax treaties with other countries, so your nonresident spouse's specific country of residence will not impact the state tax return.

You can find a summary of U.S. tax treaties at United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nate47
Returning Member

Thank you, Ernie! You have been most helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies