Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What category do I choose for Box 14 for Ohio School District Income Tax?

I have an option for "Other Deductible State or Local Tax" Should I choose that?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You need to "get a handle" on what's going on. 

Are you saying your employer withheld income tax for the School district (SD) you live in , but reported the withholding in box 14 of your W-2?  That would be wrong. You need to get a corrected W-2.  But that is SO WRONG, that I wonder what else is wrong.  SDIT withholding goes in box 19 of the W-2. Employers should only withhold SD income tax (SDIT) if the employee lives in a district with a tax. SDIT should not be withheld when an employee only works in an SD with a tax.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

As @Hal_Al stated you need to get with the employer to confirm the withholding is correct.  If you check FAQ 12 from the OH Department of Revenue, they realize that sometimes employers put the OH School District withholding in box 14.  It does belong in box 19 and the OH SD XXXX to box 20.  Box 18 should match your box 16 state income amount. 

If the withholding is correct and the employer does not correct your W2, then you can put the information where it belongs in your TurboTax W2 entries in the federal "Wages & Income" section.  Then, in the OH state interview in the "Other Tax Situations" section you should select the "OH School District Taxes" topic to generate an SD100 and the withholding entered in box 19 will be applied. 

Additionally, according to FAQ 13 in the link, if the withholding occurred incorrectly, you correct that by filing the OH SD100. You can put the W2 information where it belongs in TurboTax and then in the "OH School District" topic enter the full year residency dates and then when asked to enter income to be taxed by that district enter zeroes (0) in the boxes and the withholding will be refunded.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies