Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jag1214

We moved to SC from NH in 2023. TurboTax is prompting me to enter information for a SC underpayment penalty for 2022 but we did not live here. It’s costing me $59. Why?

It is saying if you were a partial resident leave it blank so that’s what I did and it’s charging me $59 penalty when I didn’t even live here.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

We moved to SC from NH in 2023. TurboTax is prompting me to enter information for a SC underpayment penalty for 2022 but we did not live here. It’s costing me $59. Why?

If you owe more than $100 for the time you lived in SC, then you would be subject to an underpayment penalty.  The question is generally what was your tax liability for 2022. TurboTax is trying to fill out form SC 2210 to see if your penalty for underpayment can be waived.  If you did not live in SC last year, then the answers for all of your questions regarding your income will be $0.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm not specifically familiar with the SC software, but the general rule is you can forego calculating the underpayment penalty and just wait for SC to bill you, which they may not do, since it's your first year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies