Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wage Discrepancy - Federal vs Massachusetts

Hi. I am doing my daughter's taxes. She had 2 jobs last year, one with a private company and the other as a local town employee. TurboTax said her federal income totaled $60K. On her Massachusetts return, TurboTax is saying her wages, salaries, etc. on Line 3 is only $25K. I was thinking maybe TurboTax didn't carry over one of her W2s, but the $25K is not close to either W2. I'm at a loss as to where TurboTax is getting the $25K from. Anyone have any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

On both W-2's did you enter numbers in boxes 15-17 and did you double check the numbers that you entered? Did you select MA as the state?  If not, TurboTax may not carry the income over as state taxable income.  

Go back to the Federal income section and double check your W-2. 

Did you mark anything that said this income is excluded from MA income anywhere?  You may want to walk back through the MA state return to be sure you didn't inadvertently remove income from the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Vanessa. I will check all of that. Just been busy and don't have the energy right now to dive back in! I will let u know what I find out.

I found out there was a typo in Box 16, State wages, tips, etc... Once corrected, everything now looks correct. Thanks for your help Vanessa!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies