Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdbrown35080
Returning Member

Virginia and DC tax returns

My daughter lives in Virginia and works in DC. They took taxes out in DC. I'm filing state returns for both Virginia and DC. When I run the review for Virginia, it tells me the DC is not a valid state code for schedule OSC. If I take it out, it gives me an error. Please explain how I fix this problem. Should she start having her employer pay Virginia state taxes instead of DC state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. Your daughter should have Virginia tax withheld instead of Washington D.C. tax. Fill out a VA-4 Form.

Washington D.C. has a reciprocal agreement with the rest of the states. Only D.C. residents pay D.C. income tax. Everyone else files a state tax return with their resident state and only pays tax to their home state.

TurboTax is giving you an error because you are not entitled to a other state credit on the Virginia return. Delete the credit.

Instead, file a nonresident D.C. return and tell TurboTax you want a refund of D.C. tax. Your daughter will get back all D.C. tax withheld, but will owe Virginia since her employer should have withheld VA tax.

In the D.C. section you will see a screen Nonresident Request for Refund. Select Yes, I want to file a Nonresident Request for a Refund and answer the questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jdbrown35080
Returning Member

Thank you. That helped.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies