Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caaumen
Returning Member

Unable to efile SC 2022 Amended Return

When I use the website and click amend return I get taken to a blank white screen.  No links, no text, nothing to do but stare into the infinite white abyss.

Here is the URL I am taken to after clicking to amend my return in the web browser:

https://us-east-2.turbotaxonline.intuit.com/turbotax/wtt_err.htm?Error=2&component=TTServiceErrors&a...

When I use the 2022 TurboTax Desktop application I was able to make my changes and print my federal forms, but then the screen advances to:

"Let's get ready to file your taxes

Great Job! You're almost done.

It's time to wrap up your 2022 taxes and file your returns.

[Back]          [Continue]"

Clicking the 'Continue' button does absolutely nothing.  The tabs show me at 'Audit Protection' and when I click on 'Summary' it takes me to the guarantee of maximum refund, clicking continue advances to a Thank You page with [Back] and [Exit TurboTax].  If I click 'Back' from the guarantee page it takes me back to the "Let's get ready to file your taxes" page.  It absolutely will not efile my SC return and this is the only way for me to submit my return.

https://dor.sc.gov/tax/individual-income/faq

- Amended returns

-- Can an amended return be filed electronically?

Starting with tax year 2019, amended returns can be filed electronically. Check with your tax preparer or tax software provider to determine if they support electronic filing of amended returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You cannot e-file an amended 2022 return.

Only certain paid tax pros  using professional tax software can still e-file past year amended returns. You cannot e-file a past year amended return that you prepared yourself using TurboTax.  Your amended return must be printed, signed and dated in ink, and then you need to mail it in.  Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
caaumen
Returning Member

@xmasbaby0 

Please see the end of my post and cite your own source.

Also how is this a prior year return?  The year isn't even over yet so the 2023 tax season can't have started yet as everything that happens up to December 31, 2023 is reportable for the 2023 tax return.

Finally, if I cannot do it, then why is TurboTax directing me to efile my state return after directing me to print and mail my Federal return.  It is not giving me the option to print my state return nor giving me directions on where to send it.  The online option doesn't even allow me to make edits to my 2022 return and the offline application doesn't advance to give me an option on how to file my state return but clearly states that it would be eFiled if it could get to it.

So both the TurboTax software and the SC DOR website contradict your statement here.

Give up.   E-filing has been permanently closed for do-it-yourself TurboTax software for 2022 returns since the end of October.   The only way for you to file an amended 2022 return will be by mail.   Or....go to a paid professional tax preparer who might be able to e-file it for you when e-filing for the 2023 tax return season opens in January 2024.   If you choose to file it by mail, select the "file by mail" option in the FILE section.

And....whenever you e-file a tax return.....it is impossible to e-file a state return unless the federal return was e-filed and accepted by the IRS, no matter what tax year is involved.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies