I e filed fed in in february.I am now trying to E file my VA state tax ,--- THe program keeps asking me to select
a FED file to e file . and will not let me e file state . How do I get by this BLOCK???
I filed my federal return a few days ago and I got a message it was accepted.
I tried to file my New York return today, but the software tells me to go back and select a Federal Return to go with it.
However, there does not seem to a means to do so.
When I go back, it does say that my Federal Return was filed.
How do I e file my NYS return?
Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.
Once your federal return has been accepted you should be able to e-file your state return.
To e-file your return:
- In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
- Select Tax Home in the left menu.
- Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
- Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
- Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
- On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
- Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
- On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
- Follow the instructions to e-file your return.
Yes, if you using the Desktop program. There is a recent State Efile error in the Desktop program. Please sign up on this FAQ
I filed my federal and it was accepted. I'm not able to file state (WI). I'm told to file Fed first which I did. When I follow the instructions, I'm not seeing 2020 to add a state as you indicated, only 2019, 2018.
Are you in the right account? It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.
Did not work. My files are loaded on the computer but I can't find my 2020 Fed file on Turbotax when I follow your instructions. My Fed was accepted but the software does allow me to advance to state. The arrow at the top does not move to state, it stays at federal. I've never had the happen before and I've been using Turbotax for a long time (20 + years).
This is a known issue that is scheduled to be resolved in a product update March 19, 2021.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"