Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Carey99
Returning Member

Two different states sales tax entry

I lived in both New York and Florida during 2023 the TurboTax only allows me to add New York for sales tax purposes. When I click add location it only allows me to add a different location within new york. How do I add Florida to get sales tax deductions there?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

If you go carefully through the section for sales tax, you will see that it asks you for the dates in which you lived in the state and paid sales tax.  Enter the information for the first state, and then you will get a screen that lets you add another state and the sales tax rate for that state.

Remember, though, that sales tax is an itemized deduction and it will have no effect on your tax due or refund unless you have enough other itemized deductions to put on a Schedule A--like mortgage interest, medical expenses, charity donations, etc.  Your itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction or they have no effect.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Carey99 and not only must you itemize, if your other SALT items (state and local taxes) already exceed $10,000, entering the information for sales tax will have absolutely no impact on the FEDERAL return as SALT deductions are limited to $10,000.

Carey99
Returning Member

Thank you, but as I already mentioned when I add another location, New York continues to be the state and I could only change the area within new york. There is no where to add a different state. This is my question.

Carey99
Returning Member

And yes, I itemize my deductions in detail. They always exceed the standard deduction.

Go back to that screen again and look -----there is a box with a drop down to choose which state and the dates when you lived in the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Carey99 You do know you have to be in the federal program for this, right?   Not on the NY state form.

Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid> Sales Tax. 

Carey99
Returning Member

I realize you were trying to help, but there is no drop-down box and I cannot look any more carefully than I am. This is not a complex screen. I have scheduled an appointment with representative so they can look at it with me.

Carey99
Returning Member

What do you mean the Federal "program"?

@Carey99  - are there tabs across the top / side of the screen - one area to enter federal information and one area to enter state information? you need to be in the federal tab. 

in the desktop version, it asks the timeframe you lived in a particular state and then there is a drop down just below that stating "add a location" where you can add a 2nd state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies