anonymousbadger

TurboTax shows over $2k in the "Miscellaneous Income" section but I can't edit or see where it's coming from. I'm ready to file, but for this phantom income.

Like I said, all my income is listed in the Job, Self-employment, and Interest section, but I have $2k extra income listed as "Miscellaneous Income". As far as I can tell, this isn't info that I've earned or entered, and when I click on the Edit/Add button, it doesn't show up. How can I find where it's coming from?
LenaH

It is possible that there was an erroneous entry into Other Miscellaneous Income from a 1099 input. 

To check your input, please follow these instructions:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for Other Income with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page. 
  3. Select the Jump to Other Income link in the search results. 
  4. This will take you to the Other Miscellaneous Income Summary screen.
  5. Use the trash can icon next to the entry under Other Miscellaneous Income. 
  6. Confirm this was already entered under your self-employed income. If not, enter the 1099 on your Schedule C. 
anonymousbadger

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the steps you prescribe don't solve the issue.

When I search "other income", the only "jump to" I can do is to the 1099-MISC, which just takes me to a screen asking if I have one, which I don't. 

Alternatively, when I click on "Edit/Add" next to the Miscellaneous Income section, I see no entered income and every category just says 'Start". 

Any ideas?

LenaH

If your other income is not listed in the summary screen as stated above, then you can figure out the source by looking through your 1040 forms. 

Please follow these instructions: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on View Tax Summary. 
  3. Click on Preview my 1040.
  4. Scroll down to Schedule 1, Line 8
  5. Review what is listed under Other Income

Once you figure out the source, you can then use the search tool at the top of the page to get to the input screen to review or delete the item. 

@anonymousbadger

anonymousbadger

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

The issue was excess housing allowance. Schedule 1, Line 8 is blank. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

isaaclw1

So frustrating!

I was tallying up the total we spent on our house, because that's what the form is for.

I did NOT mean that I was trying to claim that much over, but just to prove that we met the amount we were claiming.

That field didn't make any sense.

In previous years, you added a total, then there was the qualifying amount, and it picked the lower of the two. I'm not sure why the program didn't work like that this year.

Thanks so much for finding that.