Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax saying I'm not eligible to e-file state return because I have other state source income but only reporting MA source income in W2 box 16. But I did report the state income and the taxes withheld by both states. TT at first double counted that inc

I live in MA but work in RI. Both states taxed this. I included that income in box 16 for both states.   Now being told I'm only reporting Massachusetts source income.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

TurboTax saying I'm not eligible to e-file state return because I have other state source income but only reporting MA source income in W2 box 16. But I did report the state income and the taxes withheld by both states. TT at first double counted that inc

It is a Massachusetts programming requirement.  The programming requirements of Massachusetts require the system to report all income as taxable to MA that is listed on the state lines.  You can (and did) override this correctly (so you don't pay tax on double the income), however, Massachusetts requires these returns to be mailed in.  

Remember, though, that you do have an extra day or 2 in Massachusetts because of Patriot Day to get the return filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies