turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chsriman

Turbotax allows only 1 previous state of residence. How do I enter multiple previous states of residence if I lived in 3 states during the year?

I lived in VA for a few months; then in NJ for a few months; and finally for a month in WA. Turbotax allows only 1 previous state of residence. How do I enter information of both NJ and VA as previous states I lived in during the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Turbotax allows only 1 previous state of residence. How do I enter multiple previous states of residence if I lived in 3 states during the year?

It depends.  Normally, you can't do three part-year returns in TurboTax.  In your case, however, you only need to file two state returns:  VA and NJ (Washington does not have a state income tax).  For the system, you can simply tell the program that you lived in VA and NJ.  Then, when you get to the NJ tax return, you will see a screen that asks about excluding income for your NJ return.  Check on the boxes that are not NJ.  As a NJ part-year resident, no income from the other states is taxable in NJ if you were not living there at the time.

Please see the following screenshot for assistance.  (The state reflected in the shot is different, but the idea is the same):  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Normally, you can't do three part-year returns in TurboTax.  In your case, however, you only need to file two state returns:  VA and NJ (Washington does not have a state income tax).  For the system, you can simply tell the program that you lived in VA and NJ.  Then, when you get to the NJ tax return, you will see a screen that asks about excluding income for your NJ return.  Check on the boxes that are not NJ.  As a NJ part-year resident, no income from the other states is taxable in NJ if you were not living there at the time.

Please see the following screenshot for assistance.  (The state reflected in the shot is different, but the idea is the same):  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies