Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax is doubling my state tax withholding

Hello,

Turbo tax is doubling my state withholding.  On the W2 box 17, the state withholding is correct and matches my W2, however when I look at my state returns, it's doubling the withholding amount.  I've double checked all my entries and they are correct.  How can I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Make sure you didn't enter the state tax withheld again on the state return. The state tax withheld should be reported on your federal return when you enter the W-2 and the information will carry over to the state return.

If all your entries are correct try to delete and re-enter your W-2.

To delete and re-enter your W-2 :

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for W-2 using the search in the upper right corner and then click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. This brings you to the Here's your W-2 info screen. Click the trash can icon next to the unwanted W-2 and then answer Yes on the following screen.
  4. Click Add a W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

It sounds like there is still input somewhere else.

I recommend reviewing your input in the following sections to ensure the withholdings were not entered anywhere else as well.

You can review any estimated payments in the federal section of the program. 

1. Select Deductions & Credits 
  2. Scroll down through All Tax Breaks and select Estimates and Other Taxes Paid 
  3. Select Estimated Tax Payments and then Income Taxes Paid
  4. Delete any information in this section if it does not apply

View solution in original post

26 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Make sure you didn't enter the state tax withheld again on the state return. The state tax withheld should be reported on your federal return when you enter the W-2 and the information will carry over to the state return.

If all your entries are correct try to delete and re-enter your W-2.

To delete and re-enter your W-2 :

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for W-2 using the search in the upper right corner and then click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. This brings you to the Here's your W-2 info screen. Click the trash can icon next to the unwanted W-2 and then answer Yes on the following screen.
  4. Click Add a W-2

I deleted my entire W2.  It's still showing my state tax withholding, except this time, it's accurate.  Seems like my state tax withholding is somewhere not visable to me.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like there is still input somewhere else.

I recommend reviewing your input in the following sections to ensure the withholdings were not entered anywhere else as well.

You can review any estimated payments in the federal section of the program. 

1. Select Deductions & Credits 
  2. Scroll down through All Tax Breaks and select Estimates and Other Taxes Paid 
  3. Select Estimated Tax Payments and then Income Taxes Paid
  4. Delete any information in this section if it does not apply

I checked all those areas.  I ended up entering $0 for my state withholding.  The final state tax returns had the correct withholdings and I efiled my returns.

Stephen53

Hi,

I had the exact same thing happen on my CT  State return. I even had a call with a TT EA where we went through all of the entries and could not find anything wrong. TT was calculating a state refund of more than than the amount withheld. I figured I needed to see the actual forms in order to see where the mistake occurred. So I paid but didn't file so I could print my tax forms. I found it in an obscure form where I had to make an entry through a TT Smart Check. Smart Check is a dangerous TT tool where the user has actual access to the forms and worksheets and can enter numbers that will override or add to the numbers you enter through the usual question and answer format. What's worse, you have no access to correct any smart check entered item unless it happens to pop back up again.

I am guessing that you went into your W2's and entered "0" for state withholding because somewhere in the worksheets that TT uses, the amount of state withholding was entered and you have no visibility or access to correct that number. The math on your return is now correct but you may have issues down the line with the electronic matching between the forms the IRS and state revenue departments get and what you have entered. 

My issue is once I paid but didn't file so I could check the forms, I caan't clear everything out and start over. TT does not let you do that. I am at the point where I just deleted all w2's and 1099's and am going to re-enter everything. I have a tax form now that shows 0 income, no withholding, but I get a CT state tax refund of the amount that was actually withheld. That proves that there is a bad number somewhere within the TT worksheets equal to the exact amount withheld. I am hoping that I can trigger the smart check where that amount was entered so I can delete it. 

Otherwise, unless TT will credit my account so I can start over from scratch, I will be forced to dispute the TT charge on my credit cards as they have failed in their promise to deliver a product to me where the calculations are 100% accurate. There should be a check in the program that says it is impossible to have a refund with $0 withholding.

MaryM428
Level 10

This is normally caused by a cookie error.  Use the Chrome browser and delete browser data for all time.

Sign into TurboTax on the Chrome browswer.

Delete the W-2 that had the doubled withholding

Type the W-2 in again manually.

Go to State and Delete the state return

Add the state again and go through all the screens in the state return until state review

Enter W-2 form

Clear Cache and Cookies on Chrome

lisalyy99

I follow the steps here and also above checking the tax paid session. It still double my state tax paid. Can you advice if there are other ways to fix this? 

I am at same situation this year, I used smart check and was asked to confirm NY state withheld,

I entered the figure and now NY state withheld is doubled. Turbo Tax still didn't fix the bug.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

It depends on your situation.

If you are filing in more than one state, then you might need to follow instructions on filing in multiple states. If you are however filing in one state (resident state), then the state tax withheld should flow directly to your state return without any issue.

Please check your input in the Wages and Income section to make sure your entry was correct. You could also delete the W-2 and reenter this to try and correct the issue.

Try to clear Cache before entering the W-2 again.

@Liz-NY 

I only have one W-2 and one state return, I did clean cache and delete W-2, re-entered, the bug is still there. I googled around and saw several threads reporting this issue, so I am not alone...

I've had the same issue. I have tried to clear my browsing history, cleared my cache, and cleared my data. I deleted the W2 and even changed browsers. I even tried entering the data manually. The issue, as far as I can see, is that the state return appears to be partially filled out before even getting started on the federal return. When the W2 is entered - either manually or through upload - it doubles the state withholding. 

This is driving me bonkers. Is there any fix?

I share your frustration.  As TurboTax couldn't fix the bug, now the solution I can think of is to modify state withholding in W-2 form to 0. 

How do you do that? Are you talking about when you upload the W2?

Yes, modify the state withholding in W2 to 0. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies