turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amyqmcd

I'm a grad student in MD, but did a 3 month internship in WA, where I earned most of my annual income. Do I file as permanent or part-year MD resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm a grad student in MD, but did a 3 month internship in WA, where I earned most of my annual income. Do I file as permanent or part-year MD resident?

You were a full year MD resident

amyqmcd

Thank you Hal_Al! So I don't need to record anything related to my WA taxes? It's as though I earned all the income in MD?
TomD8
Level 15

That is correct.  Your state of residence can tax all your income, regardless of where you earned it.  A temporary absence from your home state for work or school does not constitute a change in residency.  Non-resident states can tax you for income earned within their borders, but this is not an issue in your case, because Washington State does not have a personal income tax.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies