Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

martinigeo
Returning Member

Taxes Paid in Another State

Hi,

I moved to North Carolina from Pennsylvania in 2022.  I resided full time in NC for ALL of 2023.  I work remotely for my PA employer for ALL of 2023.  My employer took PA taxes out for the beginning of 2023 then correctly took taxes out for NC the remainder of the year.  I am certain that I correctly entered the state tax info for both states and noted that the PA portion is taxable in NC.  Did this by NOT CHECKING the box "Make this income taxable in PA."  Everything looks good!  However, when I go to e-file, and select Transmit, it says "Check this Entry." Taxable inc earned in another state subject to tax should be greater than 0.  It displays a box to type in, but it will not accept any input.  I am using the desktop version.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please do the returns in this order:

Federal

Non-resident PA (allocate zero income)

Full-Year Resident NC (allocate all income) 

It sounds like the program is trying to take a CREDIT on the NC return for taxes paid to another state, but you don't want to do that. You want to get the PA tax REFUNDED, not as a tax credit for NC. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
martinigeo
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick reply.  Thought that I did that.  In fact, it is showing that I will get a full refund of my taxes paid to PA.

TomD8
Level 15

Juust to make you aware aware that Pennsylvania is one of a handful of states that have a "convenience of the employer" rule.  If the employer provides the employee with a physical workspace within PA, and the employer chooses for his own convenience to work remotely from a location outside PA, then that employee's income remains taxable by PA.  See this PA tax reference:

https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3597/kw/telecommuter/related/1

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
martinigeo
Returning Member

Thanks.  That is not the case.  I moved to NC...retired from this employer.  They chose to retain my services and offered me remote work.  I do not have a physical space in PA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies