Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes in multiple states as non-resident

1. Where is the list of state taxes that support non-resident filing?  I've looked for 20 minutes; found it for TT Business but not Personal.  

2. I'm wondering if it can handle my situation anyway because it's kind of confusing for me to wrap my head around. 

I pay taxes in multiple states.  Usually I do the non-resident states first, which is from partnership income on a K1.  The states look for a ratio of income earned from that state compared to my total income.  Then I do my home state taxes and get partial credit for taxes I paid to those other states.

But this year my 1040 reduces my partnership income a lot due to tax loss carryforwards (from the prior year K1).  I'm not sure how to break the tax loss carryforwards across the different states.  But if I don't, it looks like I had more income in each state than I really had in total.  Would the TT state programs ask me to allocate the losses across the states in which they originated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Q. Where is the list of state taxes that support non-resident filing? 
A.  There is no list. TurboTax (TT) can handle personal, non resident, returns for all states.

Q.  I'm wondering if it can handle my situation anyway because it's kind of confusing for me to wrap my head around?

A. Yes. The method may vary, depending on the state. 

Q.  Would the TT state programs ask me to allocate the losses across the states in which they originated?

A. Yes. 

Q.  I'm not sure how to break the tax loss carryforwards across the different states. 

A. TT will not do that allocation for you.  You have to decide how much is allocated to each state and manually enter it. 

Q. But if I don't, it looks like I had more income in each state than I really had in total. 

A. If none of the carry forward loss is allocated to a particular state, then it would not be wrong for that state return to be showing income. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Q. Where is the list of state taxes that support non-resident filing? 
A.  There is no list. TurboTax (TT) can handle personal, non resident, returns for all states.

Q.  I'm wondering if it can handle my situation anyway because it's kind of confusing for me to wrap my head around?

A. Yes. The method may vary, depending on the state. 

Q.  Would the TT state programs ask me to allocate the losses across the states in which they originated?

A. Yes. 

Q.  I'm not sure how to break the tax loss carryforwards across the different states. 

A. TT will not do that allocation for you.  You have to decide how much is allocated to each state and manually enter it. 

Q. But if I don't, it looks like I had more income in each state than I really had in total. 

A. If none of the carry forward loss is allocated to a particular state, then it would not be wrong for that state return to be showing income. 

Perfect, thanks for the reply!

(I don't think it's right that I often end up paying a lot more because my income is split between states than I would if it were all in one.  But that's the way the state tax codes work.)  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies