turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Withholding Tax for Household Employee (Nanny)

We had a household employee (nanny) in 2023 for whom we used a payroll service, SurePayroll. Each quarter, the payroll service submitted quarterly estimated federal taxes and filed quarterly state withholdings (Ohio).

I'm able to see the federal estimate filings (amounts and dates) when I log into my IRS online account. I've entered those amounts and dates in TurboTax for federal estimated taxes. I'm unsure how to handle the state withholdings.

Is Ohio one of the states that deals with this separately from personal tax returns? I have seen a number of questions on this topic related to other states, and that seems fairly common but wanted to ensure I should not be accounting for these tax payments as state estimated taxes on my personal return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No. You do not enter the state withholding for household employees on your tax return.  The withholding is from the employee's pay and they get the credit for that on their tax returns.  However, you likely did pay OH Workmen's Comp premiums and OH state unemployment taxes for your household employee (nanny).  Those are part of your childcare expenses for the form 2441 Dependent and Childcare Credit.  You enter those expenses in the "Deductions & Credits" section, the "Child and other dependent care" topic. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No. You do not enter the state withholding for household employees on your tax return.  The withholding is from the employee's pay and they get the credit for that on their tax returns.  However, you likely did pay OH Workmen's Comp premiums and OH state unemployment taxes for your household employee (nanny).  Those are part of your childcare expenses for the form 2441 Dependent and Childcare Credit.  You enter those expenses in the "Deductions & Credits" section, the "Child and other dependent care" topic. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies