Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Tax wasn't paid during efile - received bill from state today

Hello,

I got a letter from my state today stating that my taxes weren't paid ( over 5 months after the filing date) stating that my taxes weren't paid:

"Direct debit NSF tax payment: No A/C unable to locate"

So I am being charged a $50 penalty on top of the taxes owed.  I am thinking that the error message above is indicating that the account number or routing number are not correct (it was supposed to be direct debited).  We double-checked routing and account numbers and the are definitely shown correctly on the reference form I saved as PDF.

What recourse do I have here?  As far as I knew - they were paid, as there were no indications or notifications from TurboTax about any issues - the status message when I check efile status shows I am done.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You never noticed it didn't come out of your bank account?  Sorry there is nothing you can do unless it was paid and the state applied it wrong.  Check your bank account.  Some banks use different routing numbers for deposits and payments.  

The amount was $47 - so it never stood out as missing.  Once it was filed and TT said we were all set I didn't really think about it.

My question is who screwed up here?  The state?  The bank?  TT definitely shows the correct account numbers.  I guess I can call the bank tomorrow and confirm the routing and account numbers don't differ for deposits and withdrawals.

UGH.  Apparently I checked "Savings" instead of "Checking" - so mystery solved.  I picked the checking option for the local tax, but Savings for state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies