Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Tax Filing for SSDI

Hi, my wife and I moved from SC to NC mid year; however, my income was only taxed in SC for the entire year. My wife is retired (no earned income) but she received SSDI toward the end of 2023 that wasn't taxed (Federal or State). When filing as SC non-resident, the SSDI doesn't seem to be accounted for on the SC state tax form - line O - (only is if I file as Resident). I know to file as non-resident, giving me a higher "SC Income Subjext to Tax", but do I need to file a NC Return as well to account for the SSDI she received?

Joe

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

State Tax Filing for SSDI

SSDI is not taxable in NC nor SC and so any of those benefits that are taxable at the federal level will be excluded in the NC and SC state interviews.  

Having said that you should be filing a joint return as part-year residents in NC and SC.  In each state interview you will then allocate income from the various income sources you have according to your resident state when you received the income. 

Since taxes were withheld/paid to SC for all the wages, you will likely get a refund from them.  However, since no taxes were withheld/paid to NC you will likely owe taxes there.   

In the "My Info" section edit yours and your spouse's personal information to indicate you lived in NC on 31 Dec and answer "Yes" you lived in another state and select SC; enter the date you moved.  This will generate part-year returns for each state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies