Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Howardlbca
Returning Member

State estimated taxes paid transfered from Federal to State return is incorrect.

The California estimated taxes I paid and entered on my Federal return has been transferred to my state return by TurboTax and is incorrect.  How do I correct that error without changing the numbers on my Federal return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

State estimated taxes paid transfered from Federal to State return is incorrect.

What dates did you pay the estimates?  Yes you have to enter or change the amounts on the federal side.  Are you itemizing deductions on federal?   The amount of state estimates you can deduct on federal might not match the estimates you paid for 2022.  Like if you paid the 2021 4th quarter estimate in January 2022 or the 2022 4th quarter in Jan 2023.  

What is wrong on California?  Is it too much or too little?  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Although the state estimated payments are entered in the federal section of TurboTax (TT), they do not transfer from the federal return to the state return.  The entries you make go on the tax payments worksheet. From there they are allocated to the federal return (Schedule A itemized deductions) or the state return (as estimated tax payments) as needed.

To edit your entries, 

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Estimates & other taxes paid

-Estimates - Click Start or Update

- On the next screen, click Start or Update next to State Estimated taxes for 2022. Be sure to enter the date paid.  If the 4th quarter was paid in January 2023, you will get credit on the state return, but not the federal

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies