turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Download is not working

Purchased the Deluxe program with 1 free state and every time I try and do my state taxes it says it needs to download. A window pops up says downloading, then program up to date, then I click on state and wants to download again. It's stuck on an endless cycle of download state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please check the updated link, State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta..., to see if it helps with your download issue. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

30 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please check the updated link, State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta..., to see if it helps with your download issue. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

Thank you for your help, that did the trick and now my blood pressure is back to normal :-).

KT1971

Which steps did you follow?  There is more than one course of action suggested;  which one 'did the trick' for you?  Thanks

bcullen

I have my Federal Taxes done and have been trying to download my state since last night. Nothing I do works and at this point I am very frustrated. I have Turbo Tax online version. My cell phone number is [phone number removed].

DennisDoesTaxes
Returning Member

I had the same problem. Endless loop. CA state wouldn't show up. Tried all the advice given online as well as the help of a tech support person over the phone. Nothing worked. I finally figured it out, though.

Here's my relevant backstory: In my case, (prior to encountering the endless loop problem) I had originally purchased the Deluxe version. Then I realized I needed the Home and Business version. So I uninstalled the Deluxe version using the TTax uninstaller. Then installed the Home and Business addition.  OK  so far. Then I put in all my info, OK so far. Then tried to download the state. No luck. Tried over and over, uninstalling and reinstalling TT, etc. 

Here's how I finally solved it. I looked in my C: > Program Files (x86) > TurboTax folder. There was my Deluxe version that I had already uninstalled, still there in addition to my Home and Business version. Aha! Defective TT uninstaller! So I looked in that Deluxe folder. The only thing there was the Forms folder. Looked in there, saw 2 folders: 1040_## and cai_##. CA stands for California. So, I figured that CAI folder must be the CA forms I need - even though I definitely did not download the CA state forms while using the Deluxe version. So I figured the defective uninstaller did not remove all the TT Deluxe info from the registry, so the installer for the state forms saw TT Deluxe info in the registry so it put the CA forms there by mistake (even though I was using the Home and Business edition to download the state forms). So I copied that cai_## folder to the Home and Business > Forms folder, restarted TT H&B and it worked! There was TTax telling me that I owe money to CA. Sigh. At least not as much as I was expecting. Yay?

2/19/2022: I just spent 9 hours on TT Home & Business 2021. But solved problems not recognizing two states (NY free, CA paid), and not allowing electronic submission of returns to IRS, NY, or CA. Solution was to entirely delete TT Home & Business 2021 from my Windows 10 PC; then double-click on the original paid download (after paying for it Dec. 2021, I had saved it in my DOWNLOAD Folder as "TurboTax_Home_Business_2021_PC_Download" exe), BUT MAKE SURE to save it IN THE ORIGINAL Download Folder and location. This is essential. Don't let it save in the newer Individual 2021 Folder (if you've unsuccessfully been trying other options). That solved the "The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty ... (and) FAILED VALIDATION ... " errors, which just kept me going in a circle for hours.

I have the same issue in 2022 as WYTSTANG in 2020.  Purchased Premier 2021 with 1 free state and am caught in the endless cycle of downloading the free state but when I hit start, a window pops up to start the purchase confirmation and download again.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you filing your state return by mail or by e-file? @drakemarka

E-file but am unable to even start the state return.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the resolution provided in the below TurboTax help article.  Please comment back if it does not fix the issue.

State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

@drakemarka

straitline
Returning Member

I have tried all of the resolutions in the TurboTax help articles and none of them work.   Still get an endless loop attempting to download my free state.  What else can I do?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

You may reach out to support via phone; contact details can be found here @straitline.

Go to menu at the top – online – updater preferences – turn off auto update.  The program was obviously updating instead of downloading.

jcl9625
Returning Member

Same here!  Purchased CA and CO with ID as free return.  Cannot open any of them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies