Before e-file of PA state return, turbo tax is asking for zip code of employer for business expense. I have no business expense! I'm retired. How do I fill this in?
Did you previously claim business expenses before your retired? TurboTax may have carried over your old information from previous years.
Deleting Schedule UE will fix your return.
- Click Tax Tools in the left column
- Click Tools
- Select Delete a Form in Tools Center
- Scroll down to Schedule UE. Click Delete to the right
- Click Continue With My Return in the lower right
PA-40 Schedule UE is used to report unreimbursed employee business expenses incurred in the performance of the duties of the taxpayer’s job or profession.
Allowable Pennsylvania employee business expenses must
1. Ordinary, customary, and accepted in the industry or occupation;
2. Actually paid while performing the duties of the employment;
3. Reasonable in amount and not excessive;
4. Necessary to enable the proper performance of the duties of the employment; and
5. Directly related to performing the duties of the occupation or employment.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wasn't expecting an answer so soon and I had already clicked the e-file button. This should have come up under state review. So I filled in my zip code and state and inserted not applicable where it asked for business name and address. Then went on to e-file. I hope this is ok.
If you used the Schedule UE for your PA return, which is sounds as though you didn't have employee business expenses since you are retired, then you can wait until PA would ask for information. Your actions are reasonable and acceptable.
As indicated, it's unlikely there will be any issue with your PA return so you should watch for acceptance. If your return is accepted, there is no reason for concern.