turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcdowgos

So I’m from South Carolina which was put as my state of record, and I have been stationed in Hawaii. I thought that while filing my tax return, the two were staying separate, but once I reached

Also, I know that military shouldn’t have to pay state taxes for the state they’re stationed in.  Only home of record.  So I’m now lost on what to do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

So I’m from South Carolina which was put as my state of record, and I have been stationed in Hawaii. I thought that while filing my tax return, the two were staying separate, but once I reached

If SC is your military SLR/HOR, and your only income in Hawaii was your active duty military pay, then in TurboTax enter SC as your State of Residence, and answer No to the questions about living in another state or having income from other states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Regardless of where you are stationed, your residency remains your home of record.  If you only had military pay then you only need to file in your resident state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies