Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bubuhi

I am part owner of the home my mother is living in. She does not have income other than SS, how should this be entered in my tax return?

part ownership

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I am part owner of the home my mother is living in. She does not have income other than SS, how should this be entered in my tax return?

If your name is on the home and you are legally responsible for paying a portion of real estate taxes and mortgage interest (if applicable), then you can claim your respective share on your tax return.

These expenses will be listed as itemized deductions on Schedule A. Please follow the directions below to enter your home-related expenses.

1. Log in and click take me to my return (unless already in).
  2. Click Tax Tools from the left-side menu.
  3. Select Tools from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click Topic Search, type Schedule A and click Go.
  5. On the next screen, you will see the question, "Did you spend more than (dollar amount) on medical expenses in 2018"? Answer yes or no and click continue to get to the home-related deductions.

Alternatively, you can follow the directions below to enter your expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4793197

[Edited 03/28/2019 I 2:49 PM]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If your name is on the home and you are legally responsible for paying a portion of real estate taxes and mortgage interest (if applicable), then you can claim your respective share on your tax return.

These expenses will be listed as itemized deductions on Schedule A. Please follow the directions below to enter your home-related expenses.

1. Log in and click take me to my return (unless already in).
  2. Click Tax Tools from the left-side menu.
  3. Select Tools from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click Topic Search, type Schedule A and click Go.
  5. On the next screen, you will see the question, "Did you spend more than (dollar amount) on medical expenses in 2018"? Answer yes or no and click continue to get to the home-related deductions.

Alternatively, you can follow the directions below to enter your expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4793197

[Edited 03/28/2019 I 2:49 PM]

bubuhi

what section would this be entered in? As a rental that we are not getting any rent for?

since you family member lives there it is considered personal use, not a rental.
whoever is paying the property tax can report it on their return.
bubuhi

Thanks for the answers but where should this information be entered? Mom is living there is own's 50% so I am paying 50% tax etc. but I am not sure where in the forms should this information be entered? Thanks for any help
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Please view my edited answer above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies