• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracyk411

Should I refile state taxes if I am a student working on campus, filed my own state taxes but not the state I am going to school in? The state is New York.

I've filed HI state taxes but not New York. I made less than $1000 in New York for 2017 and I am not claimed on my parents taxes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynM
Level 1

Should I refile state taxes if I am a student working on campus, filed my own state taxes but not the state I am going to school in? The state is New York.

Yes, but you are not required.

As a student you are still a resident of HI. You only need to file a New York Non-Resident Tax return if you income is over $8,000 as a single filer, but you can file to receive a refund of the taxes withheld. 

For more information, follow this link:  NY Non-residents

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CarolynM
Level 1

Yes, but you are not required.

As a student you are still a resident of HI. You only need to file a New York Non-Resident Tax return if you income is over $8,000 as a single filer, but you can file to receive a refund of the taxes withheld. 

For more information, follow this link:  NY Non-residents

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v