ethanoldaugh

Should i change my resident? I PCSD from washington to fort drum and i listed my state tax on my W2 from MI but it still popped up with NY

DawnC

If you are in the military, it doesn't really matter what you put on your paycheck/W-2.  You should enter your current address in TurboTax but be sure to indicate that you are in the military when entering your personal information.  Once you indicate that you are military, TurboTax will ask for your Home of Record or your State of Legal Residence, same thing.  Where you PCS'd doesn't matter.  For tax purposes, you are a legal resident of your SLR (State of Legal Residence).   

When you are in your return, click on My Info on the left and make sure you have entered your SLR.  As long as you do that, TurboTax will let you know which forms you need to file as each state has different rules for military personnel.  

Check out this article for a detailed explanation and examples of how this works - What is my military state of residence?   And thank you for your service!!

DawnC