Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should i change my resident? I PCSD from washington to fort drum and i listed my state tax on my W2 from MI but it still popped up with NY

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Should i change my resident? I PCSD from washington to fort drum and i listed my state tax on my W2 from MI but it still popped up with NY

If you are in the military, it doesn't really matter what you put on your paycheck/W-2.  You should enter your current address in TurboTax but be sure to indicate that you are in the military when entering your personal information.  Once you indicate that you are military, TurboTax will ask for your Home of Record or your State of Legal Residence, same thing.  Where you PCS'd doesn't matter.  For tax purposes, you are a legal resident of your SLR (State of Legal Residence).   

When you are in your return, click on My Info on the left and make sure you have entered your SLR.  As long as you do that, TurboTax will let you know which forms you need to file as each state has different rules for military personnel.  

Check out this article for a detailed explanation and examples of how this works - What is my military state of residence?   And thank you for your service!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you are in the military, it doesn't really matter what you put on your paycheck/W-2.  You should enter your current address in TurboTax but be sure to indicate that you are in the military when entering your personal information.  Once you indicate that you are military, TurboTax will ask for your Home of Record or your State of Legal Residence, same thing.  Where you PCS'd doesn't matter.  For tax purposes, you are a legal resident of your SLR (State of Legal Residence).   

When you are in your return, click on My Info on the left and make sure you have entered your SLR.  As long as you do that, TurboTax will let you know which forms you need to file as each state has different rules for military personnel.  

Check out this article for a detailed explanation and examples of how this works - What is my military state of residence?   And thank you for your service!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies