Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slpman47
Returning Member

School district taxes

I am trying to finish up my state taxes (BTW it would be nice to be able to see the forms as you do with Feds) and I am getting a message about SD taxes - it says I cannot use a zero for a school district - I didn't. On my W-2 in box 16 it has two entities - the school district where I live SD4507, and the city I work in - Columbus (and it parenthetically notes this is a city tax) but when it transfers this info to the state form it evidently thinks it is a school district tax also - so what are my options? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

School district taxes

The city or local information would be in boxes 18-20. Since it stated that it is  a city tax, move the Columbus information to those boxes.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

School district taxes

SD4507 is Newark CSD and that is a taxing District.  SD4705 is Columbus LSD, a district without an income tax.

And, of course, Columbus city is a city with a city income tax.  You need to be sure what is shown on your W-2. Since you work in Columbus, your employer is required to withhold city tax.  Withholding SD tax is optional. 

As @ZoltanB45 said, city and SD tax info goes on boxes 18-20 of your W-2, not box 16.  To get TT to handle it properly, you have to enter the info in those boxes at the W-2 screen. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies