Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

billburt48
Returning Member

SC state return - Reserves and National Guard retirement taxes

I receive retirement pay from DFAS for my Naval Reserve retirement. In SC, this is normally not taxed or is capped at a certain level. This is taxed differently than the active duty retirement pay. Using the online TurboTax, I do not see that this has been taken into consideration as the entire amount of my pay from DFAS is showing as taxable in the SC return. Any help is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

SC state return - Reserves and National Guard retirement taxes

SC treats all military retirement the same including retirement from the Reserves or Guard.  Here is the SC reference.  

Assuming in the "My Info" section you have indicated SC is your resident state, then when entering the 1099-R information in the federal "Wages & Income" section using the "Retirement" dropdown you will arrive at a page asking "Where is this distribution from?"  Select the source of the South Carolina distribution.  You should select "Military Retirement distribution."

This will prompt military retirement exclusion questions in the SC interview.  You should then enter the same 1099-R amount when asked about the military retirement exclusion.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies