Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jiantax88

Same Company, 1 W2 form. but 2 state tax. PA and NJ. stage wage in two states are not the same.

I moved from NJ to PA and work in PA,  My W-2 lists both NJ and PA as my state for Employer ID. 

I believe NJ and PA are reciprocal states. How can I file the State Tax return. 

The state wage in PA and NJ are different.  Stage wage in NJ is less then PA wage. I think that's because I have lived in NJ for 4 month. then moved to PA. 

W2 is from the same company. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieCo

Same Company, 1 W2 form. but 2 state tax. PA and NJ. stage wage in two states are not the same.

Even though there is reciprocity, you were a part-year resident in both states for 2017, therefore you will need to file part-year resident returns for both states:  A part-year return for the 8 months lived in PA and a part-year return for the 4 months lived in NJ.  For 2018, if you live in NJ for the whole year, you will just have to file a return for NJ (and not for PA since there is the reciprocity agreement between the two states.)

You will want to enter your W-2 exactly as reported with the two states income and taxes withheld.  This will identify what state income tax is to be taxed in each state.

Here is more information on how to file a part-year resident return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies