Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RI resident working remotely for Ma employer, do I apportion income?

I live in RI but work remotely for a company in MA. Mass taxes were deducted from my paycheck and they reflect on my W2 form. How do I file my state taxes? Am I able to apportion or do I just pay Mass taxes and get a refund from RI for taxes paid to another state?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Your income is taxable in RI. The state you live in. 

You need to file Non-resident MA state return to receive a refund for taxes paid. 

Make sure you've filled out the Personal Info section correctly:

1. With your return open, select My Info in the menu.
  2. On the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.

To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the nonresident return first.

On MA return enter 0 on the screen that asks for the amount of income earned in that state. This will eliminate your tax liability for that state, resulting in a full refund.

How do I file a nonresident state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply. There isn't a page where I can claim zero. The only way I can claim 0 in Massachusetts is following the apportion steps and claiming zero days worked in Mass, is that the way to do it? Thank you again!

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

When entering your information into the TurboTax program, carefully answer all question regarding your state residency.  TurboTax will determine what Forms you are required to file.

It sounds like you need to file a Nonresdient return for Massachusetts.  Prepare this return first.

Then prepare you residential state return (Rhode Island).

Your resident state (Rhode Island) will tax all of your income no matter where you earn it.  Your nonresident state will tax any income you earn in that state.  

Make sure you've filled out the Personal Info section correctly:

1. With your return open, select My Info in the menu.
  2. On the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  4. Select Continue to return to your Personal info summary.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State tab, where you'll see your nonresident state(s) listed (Massachusetts) in addition to your resident state (Rhode Island).

Note: In some cases, states have a reciprocal agreement that allows you to be taxed only in the state you live.  If RI and MA had a reciprocal agreement, then you would get back all of the MA withholdings. But these two states do not have a reciprocal agreement.

You must file tax returns to both states on the same income. However, your resident state will grant you a credit for the amount of tax that the nonresident state taxes the income earned there.  You will prepare the Massachusetts return first, so that TurboTax can calculate this credit on your Rhode Island return. 

Also:

• Select the long form (if the option is available) even if TurboTax defaults to the short form.
  • Only report the income attributable to the nonresident state.
  • If preparing a nonresident return solely to recover erroneous tax withholdings, enter 0 on the screen that asks for the amount of income earned in that state. This will eliminate your tax liability for that state, resulting in a full refund.
  • If you live in a reciprocal state, consider submitting an exemption form to your employer so you don't have to file a nonresident return next year.

Click here for information on how to file a nonresidential state return.

Click here for information regarding when you would have to file a nonresident tax return.

Click here for additional information on filing multiple state returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies