Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Resident Illinois, Interned in California. W2 includes 0 for income for IL but withheld 8.77 for IL.

Resident Illinois, Interned in California for the summer. W2 includes 0 for income for IL but withheld 8.77 for IL.

What do I do in this case?  I am having an issue trying to enter this.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Resident Illinois, Interned in California. W2 includes 0 for income for IL but withheld 8.77 for IL.

I did a test entering a W-2 with a California employer address, and Illinois in Box 15 with Illinois tax withheld in Box 17 but no Illinois income reported in Box 16 and the program did not have a problem with it although it wanted an Employee state ID number which I assume you also don't have. If that's the case, enter the Federal EIN for the Employer's state ID number. That would be the same number you listed on the first W-2 screen for Box b. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Like other states, Illinois taxes its residents on all their income, regardless of where earned. Additionally, California can tax you as a non-resident on income from work performed in California. So you have to file both a non-resident CA tax return and a resident IL tax return. IL will give you credit for the tax paid to CA, so you won't be double-taxed. In TurboTax, complete the non-resident state return before the home state return, so that the program can calculate and apply the credit.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you!  I will give that a try!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies