Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Remote Work Filing - Moving to Ohio, Company based in Utah

I was recently hired for a fully remote position for a company based in Utah. I currently live in Nevada and will be moving to Ohio later this summer– to my understanding, I’ll need to file for Ohio state taxes shortly before I move, but will I also owe nonresident taxes to Utah?

As clarification, I will not be working in Utah whatsoever, but rather my soon-to-be domicile of Ohio. Based on the Utah State Legislator’s definition of “state taxable income derived from Utah sources,” it appears that I wouldn’t owe taxes to Utah since none of my work / services will be rendered within the state. I just want to be certain / get a gut check on this before I start - any affirmation / clarification is appreciated!

[removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Remote Work Filing - Moving to Ohio, Company based in Utah

You will need to file your next tax return in 2022 as an Ohio resident or part time resident, depending how long will you live in Ohio in 2021. You won't need to file anything before you move. You're correct, you won't owe Utah' income tax, your employer's location is not important factor for that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies