turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taboptimum
Returning Member

Received auto-email notification from Intuit that State of NJ Accepted my Amended Tax Return BUT they never did

I filed my Amended State (NJ) Amended Business Tax Return in July 2020, for tax year 2019.  On 7/23/20, I received the automated e-mail from Intuit that the Amended NJ State Business Filing has been accepted.

It's been well over 2 months and I called the my State Division of Taxation this week.  They confirmed that they have no record of ever receiving my Amended Tax Return filed electronically.

What do I do?  I paid for filing electronically and they never received it.  The program will not allow me to file electronically again because it recognizes that it was done already and "Accepted".

Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Received auto-email notification from Intuit that State of NJ Accepted my Amended Tax Return BUT they never did

You must have been confused.  Amended returns could not be e-filed in July 2020.  It was only late in August that the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended federal returns.  Whatever you saw that said your return was accepted had to be referring to the original state return that you e-filed.  You still cannot e-file an amended state return even now.  It sounds like you still need to print, sign and mail your amended state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you e-Filed your amended (revised) state tax return, doesn't that mean that you already filed a correct tax return. ??

Never mind. I hope you figure it out.

taboptimum
Returning Member

I filed my Amended Federal Return by regular mail, which is the only option that the Turbotax software allowed. No question there.

For State of NJ, the turbotax software allowed me to file my Amended State Business Tax Return electroically.  I received automated “Accepted” notices for both my original and Amended State returns separately on different dates.

In general, NJ only allows electronic filing of Business returns. There is no regular mail option.

Bottom line: the automated e-mail and the turbotax software states that my Amended State Return was “Accepted” by State of NJ.

I called my NJ division of taxation and they have no record whatsoever of my Amended Return. They only have my original electronically filed return.

However, based on my Amended return the state now owes me a refund.

What do I do? Their website has an electronic method of filing but that involves me entering all the return data manually.

Please advise.

Did you present to NJ the submission confirmation Number from your ACCEPTED message?.

It's pretty clear, if NJ doesn't have your amendment, you should print it and mail it in.

NJ took six months to handle an amended return NJ1040X for my niece. 
In the end her account was credited for the refund amount.

taboptimum
Returning Member

There are no submission Confirmation numbers in any of my automated "Accepted" e-mails (both Personal and business) or within the Turbotax software screens that indicate the "Accepted" status for the returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies