Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JimGaines401
Returning Member

real estate sale - primary home

I don't have a closing disclosure and live in Indiana.  I do have a settlement statement from the title company.

I sold my home in 2021.

1. Up at the top of the title statement, it has a proration of $1,710.19 debited to the seller and states County Taxes 1/1/2022 to 5/13/2022 @ $4,728.94.

2. At the bottom, it says $2,369.47 P.O.C. 2021/2022 Spring Property Taxes to County Treasurer (POC $2,369.47 by [my name])

3. Right after that, it debits me $2,364.47 --- 2021/2022 Fall Property Taxes to County Treasurer.

Of these three amounts, what amounts are deductible by me the seller and why?  This is driving me crazy!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Since you sold the home in 2021 the tax deduction would be claimed on your 2021 tax return.  Your itemized deduction entry would be for your prorated portion of the taxes up to but not including the date of sale regardless of who actually paid the taxes. 

It looks like the annual taxes were 4728.94.  Divide that by 365 and multiply by the number of days you owned property.  Here is IRS Publication 530 for reference.   Scroll down to "State and Local Real Estate Taxes" and see the "Taxes paid at closing" paragraph.  

To help you understand what your settlement document is saying...

Any amount in the seller debit column is what the seller paid.  The initials POC indicate paid outside of closing so not included in the closing calculations.  So it appears you actually paid in 2021, 4728.94 and 1710.19 of that amount was for 1 Jan to 13 May 2022.  Further, the amount paid was divided into two payments Fall and Spring of  2364.47 each.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JimGaines401
Returning Member

I'm sorry, the home was actually sold in May 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies