turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wjzindars

Wife moved for work and filed two state returns, IL and GA. I only need to file state return for IL. TT will not let me file unless I fill out the state return for GA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Wife moved for work and filed two state returns, IL and GA. I only need to file state return for IL. TT will not let me file unless I fill out the state return for GA.

If you are forced to file in Georgia, you should not be taxed because you only earned income in Illinois. TurboTax will automatically split the income based on your entries.

Click these articles for help entering your details in TurboTax:

How do I file a part-year return?

How do I file a nonresident return?

For Georgia, you have the choice to file jointly or separately: 

• One spouse is a resident and the other is a nonresident without any Georgia-source income, your Georgia return may be filed jointly or separately with each spouse claiming the appropriate exemptions and deductions. 2019 Georgia Individual Income Tax Booklet Schedule 3 will be included, see page 19 of the PDF.

For Illinois, you may want to file separately in Illinois. Illinois has a rule that if you file jointly, all income is taxed as residents even if one spouse was a nonresident or part-year resident.  2019 Form IL-1040 Instructions 

If you are going to consider married filing separately at the state level, using TurboTax Desktop can help you see everything and determine your best approach.

How do I file a joint federal and separate state returns? TurboTax Expert KarenM referenced this article for how to file married filing separately using TurboTax Desktop.

Can we file federal jointly and state separately? This article is a discussion of states steps which include Illinois.

[Edited 2/25/2020 | 12:57 PM PST]

@wjzindars 

ps5cards
Returning Member

Hello, 

I am facing a somewhat similar situation but wanted to confirm for my specific circumstance. I recently moved from Illinois to Georgia after getting married. My wife has been working in Georgia already over the last year.

I received one paycheck in January 2020 from my Illinois employer. For the remainder of 2020, I have been paid through my Georgia employer.

I would like to take the least complex route. Would you recommend filing married separately for my Georgia state tax, my Illinois state tax, and my federal tax return? As such, I assume my wife would also file married separately for both her Georgia state tax and her federal tax return in 2020. Can you confirm?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@ps5cards You could file Joint Federal and Georgia returns, since most of your income was from Georgia.

File a separate Part-Year Resident Return to Illinois to report only income earned/taxes paid there.  

Prepare your Part Year Resident Return first.

Click this link for more info on How to File a Part Year Resident Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies