turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I file for a Recovery Rebate Credit (Line 30 of 1040)? It is not listed anywhere under credits or deductions nor has Turbo Tax asked about stimulus payments

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I file for a Recovery Rebate Credit (Line 30 of 1040)? It is not listed anywhere under credits or deductions nor has Turbo Tax asked about stimulus payments

Go to the Federal Review tab, click on the tab & it will ask if you received your Recovery Rebate Credit.

See the following for Online:

1. On the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  2. at the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  3. Let’s keep going to wrap up,  Click on Let’s keep going.
  4.  Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  5.  Did you get a stimulus payment? enter any amount your received, or if you did not receive any, select no you did not get a stimulus payment.  Any amount you qualify for will be added to your refund.

View solution in original post

@wbblair23   the answer above is correct, the Recovery Rebate Credit questions is after Other Tax Situations, under Federal Review.  If you had a child in 2020, did you put the child lived with you all year?  A child born any time during the year, is considered as living with you all year.  You need to say they lived with you all year to get the Recovery Rebate Credit for him or her.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go to the Federal Review tab, click on the tab & it will ask if you received your Recovery Rebate Credit.

See the following for Online:

1. On the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  2. at the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  3. Let’s keep going to wrap up,  Click on Let’s keep going.
  4.  Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  5.  Did you get a stimulus payment? enter any amount your received, or if you did not receive any, select no you did not get a stimulus payment.  Any amount you qualify for will be added to your refund.
wbblair23

agree- 

Their is no option for adding in the recovery rebate credit I can find- 

It says I received the correct amount though I had a child in 2020 and that is not included in turbotaxes calculation. 

frustrating

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You may also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you believe that you are due a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information.

If there is a difference, it is in one or both of these situations. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@wbblair23   the answer above is correct, the Recovery Rebate Credit questions is after Other Tax Situations, under Federal Review.  If you had a child in 2020, did you put the child lived with you all year?  A child born any time during the year, is considered as living with you all year.  You need to say they lived with you all year to get the Recovery Rebate Credit for him or her.

wbblair23

Already tried that as I’ve seen that in multiple posts already on this site (saying dependent has been with us all year) deleted and re-entered everything. 

only way to make the recovery rebate an option for me is to falsely decrease the amount received from the prior stimulus by the $1100 our new child from 2020 should receive on this return. 

seems like TurboTax doesn’t have this figured out as I have still seen multiple people with similar issues (having a kid in 2020) posting on this very thing. 

I checked with TaxSlayer to compare- first thing it did after I entered W2 and dependent information was give an $1100 credit for our 2020 baby. 

seems that may be the way to go. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies