turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dboy0811

When i first started working for my employer, they paid me the first week having me pay state taxes in Conn. Instead of NY. How do I file that w2 correctly?

I have a seperate w2 for That one paycheck.  How do i fix it?  Do i have to fill out a seperate for so That money goes to NY?  They also didnt take out federal taxes for that check.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

When i first started working for my employer, they paid me the first week having me pay state taxes in Conn. Instead of NY. How do I file that w2 correctly?

It sounds like you live and work in NY, but worked the first week in CT.  Since you physically earned income in CT, you are subject to CT tax and have to file a non resident CT return.

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident CT state return and pay CT tax on the income earned there.. You will also file a NY full year resident return and calculate tax on ALL your income. NY will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay CT. So, there will be little or no double taxation, but you have the cost and hassle of filing two state returns. Do the nonresident state return first.

If your situation is different, explain.

dboy0811

I appreciate your response.   No, they are an out of state company that is working in NY.  They made s mistake and charged Me Conn.  State tax the first week instead of NY tax.   They corrected it since,  but i still paid tax to a state i shouldn't have.   So do i have to fill anything out on my return to correct it so the money goes to NY, or do i just file it lime that.  I have 2 w2s from them, one from the week i paid Conn tax tjat was an error and one with all the rest of the time i worked with them paying NY taxes.  I hope im explaining it correctly.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You have to file a CT non resident return to claim a refund. You may want to paper mail your return, instead of e-filing so you can attach an explanation.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies