Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does the form 203-F mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

See New York Form IT-203-F at this link and the Instructions for Form IT-203-F at this link.  According to the instructions:

Form IT-203-F, Multi-Year Allocation Form, must be filed if you:

• as a nonresident received certain income related to a profession or occupation previously carried on both within New York State and outside New York State (for example, termination agreement or covenant not to compete). Do not use this form if you received income from a termination agreement or covenant not to compete, and you were not an employee of the payor. See TSB-M-10(9)I, Income Received by a Nonresident Related to a Business, Trade, Profession, or Occupation Previously Carried on Within New York State, for how to determine the amount of New York source income.

or

• have compensation from stock options, restricted stock, or stock appreciation rights as a nonresident (including a part-year resident if compensation is recognized during your nonresident period) that must be allocated to New York, and – performed services both in and out of New York State for the grantor during the grant to vest period of such options, stock, or rights and – have an allocation period that is different than the period of time that applies to the regular, non-stock-based remuneration from the grantor during the tax year.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you but I cannot find this form on Turbo-Tax 2019. Does TT handle this form or must I go to a Tax Accountant to have my tax return completed.

@Sanduce wrote:

Thank you but I cannot find this form on Turbo-Tax 2019. Does TT handle this form or must I go to a Tax Accountant to have my tax return completed.

TurboTax does not support New York state Form IT-203-F Multi-Year Allocation Form

Thank you for this important advice. It means that I need to go to an account to complete my tax return.

I was given the option to supply a PDF of a 203-F for my return within TurboTax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you use TurboTax Online to e-file successfully or did you have to mail in your tax return?  

@taxes_are_confusing

I have not submitted yet, so I suspect there is still a chance it will ask me to print out and mail in.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I don't THINK you will be able to electronically file, but they are constantly working on updating and improving the software, so I suppose it is possible that that feature has been added, but I can't find anything that confirms you can e-file PDF attachments.   I am curious to know the outcome, maybe you could let us know in this thread - it would be much appreciated.  Thank you and good luck!  

STG1
Level 1

This has been a NYS requirement for ever. Hopefully it is on our developer's list and will be incorporated in the software someday. Note, this is a high-profile audit issue for the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance. You can find additional information in TSB-M-07(7)I, Income Tax, October 4, 2007.

For tax year 2021, there does appear to be a UI to enter form IT-203-F, but it only allows entering a single form. Furthermore, it seems to also assume that one is filling out Schedule A rather than Schedule B (it pre-populates the income to allocate in line 1c, which is not relevant if one needs to fill out Schedule B).

If one has to fill out Schedule B, tax law requires filling out multiple forms if one has multiple grants per the description in Schedule B: "Complete a separate Schedule B for each option, stock, or right you were granted." This is even in the description in the UI.

There does not appear to be any mechanism to enter multiple IT-203-F forms. In the previous tax year 2020, TurboTax allowed uploading hand-edited PDFs. This is no longer possible either.

It appears that I cannot file my taxes with TurboTax as neither the old functionality of uploading completed PDFs is available, and the new functionality is broken.

Current TY2021 TurboTax download edition supports multiple IT-203-F Schedule Bs in Forms mode -- just keep scrolling after entering a Schedule B and a new form will be generated. I have to file multiple Schedule Bs -- in prior years, I generated a PDF that was attached to the electronic filing.

Hello! I am able to work on form IT-203-F when I check the box for the "Capital Gain or Loss Allocation Smart Worksheet." However, it is incorrectly attributing my NY income from IT-203-F in row 7, "Capital Gain or Loss." On my federal taxes, my RSU's are in Row 1 - "Wages, Salaries, Tips, etc." Row 7 is automatically populated from the sum of my Schedule B's -- I can't change it or put it in Row 1. Should I just submit my taxes with the income from New York sources in row 7 anyway? It seems incorrect.

@LavenderBeaver 

TurboTax appears to apportion all IT-203-F Schedule B income to line 7, regardless of where it should be allocated. If income needs to be apportioned to another line (such as Row 1), in "Alloc Wks", "Capital Gain or Loss Allocation Smart Worksheet", enter an offsetting negative value for Line B, which will zero out Line 7, and then you can apportion the amount from A to the correct lines. For example, if all of the Schedule B income should be apportioned entirely to Line 1 and the amounts total to $100, then A will be auto-calculated as 100, manually enter -100 as B, and then enter 100 in Line 1. In this case, Line 7 will be  zero'd out and 100 will be placed in Line 1. Column D totals will correctly match the totals from IT-203-F Schedule B.

@nivin this seemed to work! thank you 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies