Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax wants an outrageous $250 state e-filiing fee!

@fa123 wrote:

@VolvoGirlThank you.  I *know* how to check the status of my e-filed returns.  That is not my point.  Please read my post again, and also my earlier reply to @macuser_22 .

The fact that Turbotax now behaves correctly allowing to e-file the state return, and the fact that it knows and shows the correct status of the e-filed federal return on the "Check e-file status" screen is a relief.  Nevertheless, the fact that it shows something different on the e-file screen than what it shows on the "Check e-file status" screen *is* a bug (albeit a harmless one, because it merely misinforms).

The e-file any shows if it was e-filed (transmitted) or not.  It does not display the IRS status.  The "Check Status" does that.

There is no discrepancy as they show two different things for different reasons.    The e-file page is checking to see it has been transmitted so the state can be transmitted and has nothing to do whether it has been accepted or not.   It is only checking the internal TurboTax transmitted status and does not go out and find the filing status - it is not supposed to that.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Consistency is a good principle to observe.

<quote> Your screenshot shows that the Federal has been "transmitted". State cannot e-file unless the Federal has been "accepted" . </quote>

Earlier on this thread @macuser_22  stated the above sentence as the justification for Turbotax to refuse to e-file my state return. The explanation offered by the Champs was that as a measure to prevent fraudulent e-filing of state returns, Turbotax allows you to either e-file your federal and state returns at the same time, or if you file your federal first, then you must wait until it is accepted by the IRS before you can e-file your state return. Therefore, @macuser_22  implied then that because the status of my federal return on the "e-filing" screen showed "transmitted" it was correct behavior for Turbotax to refuse to e-file my state return.

I do not know for fact if the above logic and justification presented by @macuser_22  is/was true, but it seemed and still seems quite reasonable and justifiable. So I will assume that it was and is actually true.

That logic plus the fact that at the same time the "Check e-file status" screen showed that my federal return was indeed "accepted" proved that there was indeed a bug in Turbotax: the "Check e-file status" screen correctly showed the ("accepted") status, but Turbotax behaved according to the incorrect status ("transmitted") that showed up on the "e-filing" screen. This observation localized the bug and Turbotax announced that they were going to fix it.

The March 19 update corrected the behavior of Turbotax in this regard.  Assuming that the logic of the earlier argument of @macuser_22  is correct, in order to fix this bug, the Turbotax program has no choice but to fetch the correct ("accepted") status of the federal return in order to behave correctly (which it now indeed does). Turbotax cannot behave correctly, i.e., decide whether or not it should proceed to e-file the state return at the stage where it shows the "e-filing" screen, unless it actually uses the correct current e-file status of the federal return. Because it now behaves correctly, regardless of what it shows on the "e-filing" screen, it must now have and act on the correct current e-file status.

The fact that Turbotax has the correct current status ("accepted"), behaves correctly based on it, but does not show this correct status on this screen (it shows "transmitted") indicates that we have a bug here. It is a "harmless bug" because it merely misinforms, but does not prevent correct behavior; nevertheless, it is a bug!

The point is very simple: the current status is "accepted" not just "transmitted" and we are told by Champs, including @macuser_22 earlier, that showing "accepted " vs. "transmitted" is supposed to be a meaningful distinction on the "e-filing" screen (we were told it served as the basis to justify one of the subsequent behavior alternatives of allowing or refusing to e-file the state return).  Turbotax now incorrectly shows "transmitted" on this screen, but regardless of this incorrect displayed status, behaves correctly and proceeds to e-file the state return according to the correct current "accepted" status that it must fetch from somewhere.

Therefore:

@macuser_22  : "There is no discrepancy as they show two different things for different reasons." I disagree.

@macuser_22  : "The e-file page is checking to see it has been transmitted so the state can be transmitted and has nothing to do whether it has been accepted or not." The earlier @macuser_22  (quoted above) and I both disagree! 🙂

@macuser_22  : "It is only checking the internal TurboTax transmitted status and does not go out and find the filing status - it is not supposed to that."  This can be true only if either: (1) Turbotax now (after the March 19 update) has abandoned its earlier policy that Champs on this thread told me it followed to reduce fraudulent e-filing of state returns (c.f. the first quoted statement by @macuser_22 , above); or (2) Turbotax must now in fact "go out and find the filing status" as it in fact *is* "supposed to [do] that".  Which is it?

There was an issue that has since been fixed with an update that prevented the state filing if Federal has been filed previously.

It is true that the state cannot be *filed* with the state until the Federal accepts but it can be transmitted to the TurboTax e-file server if the Federal has been transmitted regardless if the Federal accepted or not.

If the Federal rejects, the state will also reject.    Transmitted and accepted are two different things.   Transmitted is internal to TurboTax and accepted comes from the IRS and/or State.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TL;DR: The issue is related to European decimal settings "," vs. ".". Set it to US and it'll go away.

Details:

I ran into the exact same issue. Spent and hour on the phone with Turbotax to no avail (well at least they opened a ticket to investigate further).

Looking at fa123's other threads [1], I realized that he's from the Netherlands and I'm from Germany. Sure enough, some Windows region settings weren't fully US. After fixing those (see "Additional date, time & regional setting"), it's $25 instead of $250.

If someone from Turbotax is reading this: Please fix, this should be easy.

[1] https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/two-zeros-get-added-to-an-entered-number-the-numb...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies