Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CBeamer
Returning Member

Tribal income tax exemption for remote workers

Due to the recent rulings in Oklahoma, I’m a Cherokee citizen now living on a Cherokee reservation. I have 2 jobs. One is located within the Cherokee reservation. 

The other is located on the Creek reservation, of which I am not a member. But since I work from home 100% of the time does that mean all of my income is earned on the Cherokee reservation and would be exempt? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Oklahoma has not issued specific guidance regarding telework due to the pandemic. In general OK taxes income at the source. For example a Texas resident teleworking for an OK company is not required to pay OK income tax, so if you are a Cherokee citizen living and working on Cherokee land for a Creek employer, your income is probably exempt from state tax.

The Oklahoma Tax Commission issued a private letter ruling regarding telework in 2014 in which the Commission stated: “As a nonresident whose salaries, wages and commissions are for work performed outside of Oklahoma, and who derives no income from sources within the state of Oklahoma, it is the opinion of the Tax Policy Division that your employer is not required to deduct and withhold Oklahoma withholding tax from your wages.”

I believe the same fact pattern will be valid if you substitute “Creek” for “Oklahoma”.

See: LR-14-012 / Income Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CBeamer
Returning Member

Thank you for your response! My telework is not a result of the pandemic. I have always worked remotely for this position which means the work performed is actually on the Cherokee reservation for an employer on the Creek reservation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies