Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AshMP1985

Third Party Sick Pay in Pennsylvania

I have third party sick pay from taking a maternity leave in 2019. 

I live in PA. 

I received a w-2 from the insurance company for the 8 weeks I was paid through them. 

I completed my federal taxes and reported the income there. 

I went to review my state taxes and it isn't pulling the income and I can't seem to "add" a w2. 

I reviewed my sick pay w2 and on line 16 there isn't an amount listed. 

Box 13 is checked for Third Party Sick Pay. 

Box 15 is filled out with PA and the ID number. 

Boxes 16,17,18,19, and 20 are blank. 

Do I need to report this income on my state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

PA does not tax your third party sick pay.

Here is what PA says officially:

Certain items are excluded from the definition of taxable compensation. These items include, among other things:

• Income received for active duty military service outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
  • Income received for active State duty for emergency within or outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
  • Periodic payments for sickness and disability other than regular wages received during a period of sickness or disability;
  • Disability, retirement or other payments arising under workmen's compensation acts, occupational disease acts and similar legislation by any government;
  • Payments commonly recognized as old age or retirement benefits paid to persons retired from service after reaching a specific age or after a stated period of employment;
  • Public assistance or unemployment compensation payments by any governmental agency;
  • Payments to reimburse actual expenses;
  • Personal use of an employer's owned or leased property or of employer-provided services; or
  • Compensation does not include guaranteed payments to a partner even if they are for services.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

PA does not tax your third party sick pay.

Here is what PA says officially:

Certain items are excluded from the definition of taxable compensation. These items include, among other things:

• Income received for active duty military service outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
  • Income received for active State duty for emergency within or outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
  • Periodic payments for sickness and disability other than regular wages received during a period of sickness or disability;
  • Disability, retirement or other payments arising under workmen's compensation acts, occupational disease acts and similar legislation by any government;
  • Payments commonly recognized as old age or retirement benefits paid to persons retired from service after reaching a specific age or after a stated period of employment;
  • Public assistance or unemployment compensation payments by any governmental agency;
  • Payments to reimburse actual expenses;
  • Personal use of an employer's owned or leased property or of employer-provided services; or
  • Compensation does not include guaranteed payments to a partner even if they are for services.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies