Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxes paid not showing in form

I had part of my AL state tax refund last year applied to this year's taxes and sent a check to cover rest of the estimated taxes. Neither payment show in my state form when I filled it out and I don't see a place to enter them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Did you enter them?

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR

To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in January for the prior year, go to

Federal on left or at top (Personal for Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Estimated Taxes - click the start button

For refund applied,

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2020 Refund Applied to 2021

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

You enter state estimated payments under the federal side (because they can be a federal itemized Deduction).  THEN after you finish filling out the estimates under Federal you need to click on the State Tab at the top and start the state return over for it to update.

You have to pick the right state from the drop down box and enter the right payment dates.

View solution in original post

How did your federal tax paid get entered if you didn't transfer from 2020?  Did you manually enter the federal estimates?  

If you get lost or need more help I can make screen shots.  The main thing is to pick the right state from the drop down box when you enter estimates or the refund Applied.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you enter them?

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR

To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in January for the prior year, go to

Federal on left or at top (Personal for Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Estimated Taxes - click the start button

For refund applied,

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2020 Refund Applied to 2021

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

You enter state estimated payments under the federal side (because they can be a federal itemized Deduction).  THEN after you finish filling out the estimates under Federal you need to click on the State Tab at the top and start the state return over for it to update.

You have to pick the right state from the drop down box and enter the right payment dates.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I fully understand it but will follow the steps you listed. My concern is I thought they would fill in automatically just as my fed paid taxes did. This is the first year I was not able to use my previous years forms to populate the current year forms and had to start from scratch due to new computer with no access to last year's files. I don't ever remember in the past years having to manually enter them.

How did your federal tax paid get entered if you didn't transfer from 2020?  Did you manually enter the federal estimates?  

If you get lost or need more help I can make screen shots.  The main thing is to pick the right state from the drop down box when you enter estimates or the refund Applied.

Thank you so much!! I think I have all of it figured out now.

The federal taxes were withheld from our RMD so it was listed on the 1099-R form we received but they wouldn't withhold the state tax so I had to send a check. I forgot in previous years the state tax had been withheld also so I would have entered it from the 1099R form also. I wasn't thinking about what I entered automatically from the 1099R form so I just assumed the estimated taxes paid were somehow reported to the IRS and they automatically populated on the form! (LOL)

I assume the amount of the refund that was applied to the state might have loaded if I had been able to use last years forms to populate this years because I don't ever remember having to enter it in previous years....although it rarely applied.

I am very uncomfortable  not having the info from last year automatically  entered so I am trying to go slowly not to overlook things that would have automatically been entered and  prompted the program to ask questions.

I didn't receive a lot of the tax documents this year by mail and have had to try to remember to go to websites to find everything. I am too old to be trying to do this alone anymore:-)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies