Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJNMRSDAD
Returning Member

Tax Filing Questions (OHIO or ILLINOIS)

I moved to Ohio from Illinois back in 2016 (leaving my family back in Illinois).  I have been paying Ohio Taxes, however,  back in 2020 (due to Covid) I moved back to Illinois and have working remotely from that ;location ever since.   I did go back to Ohio for a couple of days in Jan 2021 to move furniture out of my apartment into storage.   my 2021 Tax witholding's have continued to be in Ohio.   Now I need to complete my 2021 Tax forms - am I still classed as a resident of Ohio or should now be classed as a resident of Illinois ?     Assuming Illinois, what forms do I complete to get funds returned from Ohio so that  I can pay my Illinois Taxes ?.   

Do I also still need to file any Ohio Tax forms ?

My current tax witholdings are still being paid to Ohio - should I be changing these State withholding's from Ohio to Illinois for State Taxes ?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You should be classed as an Illinois resident is you permanently moved back to IL. I assume that’s what happened because you said you went back to Ohio for a few days to move furniture out of your apartment and into storage.

You don’t pay Ohio tax because you don’t work in OH anymore. You do have to file an OH nonresident tax return to get back all the tax withheld. Enter $0 for OH wages.

File a resident IL return. You will owe a lot of money because no tax was withheld for IL.

Fill out an IL-W-4 to get Illinois tax withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JJNMRSDAD
Returning Member

Thanks,   How do I go about getting a refund for local taxes (Columbus) since I did not reside in Ohio in 2021? In 2019 I lived 100% in Ohio, in 2020 I live the majority in Ohio and partially (2 months) in Illinois (due to Covid). In 2021 (due to Covid), I lived 100% in Illinois, however, my W2 had state withholding's deducted for Ohio and local withholding's for Columbus deducted - when I file my state taxes, I will submit both state tax forms which should off-set each other (in regards to payments & refunds), my question is how do I go about getting my refund for local taxes (Columbus) since I did not reside in Ohio in 2021 ? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

File a Form IR-25 Annual City Tax Return for Individuals to get a refund of Columbus tax paid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies