Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state taxes

how do I pay az state taxes on income from Nv

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

state taxes

If you are an Arizona resident, all your federal income will be included on your Arizona state income tax return because Arizona starts with federal adjusted gross income, so the Arizona tax due on your Nevada income will be added to the rest of your tax.

Nevada has no income tax so you do not have to file a return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

state taxes

If your W-2 shows 87,961.90 in Box 1 and only 42,392.90 in Box 16, and you are reporting the full 87,961.90 as Arizona Taxable Income. 

simply enter 87,961.90 in the box on the state portion in your TurboTax program. 

The screen in TurboTax will show the full FEDERAL amount you earned and ask you how much of that you are attributing to Arizona. 

Enter the full 87,961.90 if you think the income you earned in Nevada was earned by you as an Arizona Resident. 

Although the state income on your W-2 is different, when you report 87,961.90 in the Arizona Income Box in TurboTax, that is the income amount TurboTax will use on your Arizona State return, it will NOT also add what is reported on your W-2. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

state taxes

If you are an Arizona resident, all your federal income will be included on your Arizona state income tax return because Arizona starts with federal adjusted gross income, so the Arizona tax due on your Nevada income will be added to the rest of your tax.

Nevada has no income tax so you do not have to file a return.

state taxes

i understand Nv has no state tax and az does I 7 months in Az and 5 months in Nv  from what I can tell on my w2 my federal wages total from both states is 87,961.90 and my state taxes only show 42,392.90   this can not be right  do not want the state of Az coming after me for not paying tax on wages from Nv but do not know how to pay them

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

state taxes

You should file a Part-Year Resident return for Arizona, since you only lived there 7 months.

You said that your W-2 showed State Income of $42,393.  Does the W-2 show NV or AZ next to this amount?  If AZ, then this is your Arizona income, and is what you report on your Arizona return.  If NV, then subtract this amount from your Total Wages in Box 1 and that will be your Arizona income amount.

Here's more info on How to File a Part Year Resident Return.

state taxes

I lived in AZ 12 months I worked in az 7months and Nv 5 months it only shows Az wages on w2  cant file part time for az this is my home I need to know how to pay az taxes on Nv income because it does not show that

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

state taxes

Yes, since you live in Arizona, all of your wages are taxable. The only consideration that you would have here is if taxes were withheld in Nevada, you could have received a tax credit for the taxes paid in Nevada on your Arizona state return.  Since Nevada does not have a state income tax, this is not an option.

state taxes

no one seems to understand I have to pay tax on my nv income but nv did not hold out az tax , so tell me do I just figure out how much money I made in nv and add that to az tax that was held out for Az wages  because I have to pay for all wages earned 

state taxes

they only taxed me on my az wages not my nv  wages  they show state wages 42,392 for  az but my total wages from both states is 87,961 so no they did not 

state taxes

so you are saying I dont have to pay taxes on myNv income even tho I live in Az

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

state taxes

If you are an Arizona Resident, you'll report all your income to Arizona.  If your employer didn't take AZ tax out of your Nevada wages, you'll probably owe tax in Arizona.  

state taxes

Do I just add nv wages to the az state wages that are on my w2

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

state taxes

No. Do not add your Arizona wages to your W-2. Arizona takes info from your federal form. All your wages from W-2 Box 1 will be included on in Arizona wages.

In the Arizona section, you remove the five months of wages earned in Nevada.

On the screen "Arizona Income," the Federal Amount will be what you earned in Arizona and Nevada from W-2 Box 1. Enter what you made in Arizona in Arizona Amount.

state taxes

I am an AZ Resadent. They pulled out my az tax for income i made in az  but i need to know do I add the differents  I made 87,961.90 total fed wages 42,392.90 in az this all shows on my w2 what i need to know is the 45,569 that I made in Nv and need to pay Az Tax on how do I add that to the state taxes  so I can pay what I owe

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

state taxes

If your W-2 shows 87,961.90 in Box 1 and only 42,392.90 in Box 16, and you are reporting the full 87,961.90 as Arizona Taxable Income. 

simply enter 87,961.90 in the box on the state portion in your TurboTax program. 

The screen in TurboTax will show the full FEDERAL amount you earned and ask you how much of that you are attributing to Arizona. 

Enter the full 87,961.90 if you think the income you earned in Nevada was earned by you as an Arizona Resident. 

Although the state income on your W-2 is different, when you report 87,961.90 in the Arizona Income Box in TurboTax, that is the income amount TurboTax will use on your Arizona State return, it will NOT also add what is reported on your W-2. 

TomD8
Level 15

state taxes

@slooter --

Does Box 1 of your W-2 show the entire $87,961.90?  If so, you should be OK.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies