Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lnovotney

Spliting interest earned in two states of residnecy

My daughter was a resident in two different states during 2019.  There was interest earned from several accounts during the year.  As I read the tax code, the interest needs to be split between the two states.  How do I split the interest earned using the turbo tax program

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

It depends. If the interest was generated the entire year, it has to be prorated. If it was earned exclusively in one state, then it is taxable to that state alone.

lnovotney

Yes and no.  I asked two questions.  Did interest earned over the year need to be split between two states of residency.  That was answered.  The second question was how to show this in turbotax.  After working the issue within the state return, I believe I have figured out how to split the funds.

You do not need to respond.

I am in a similar situation.  Two states (MO and VA) with interest earned on a savings account (approx $1,200) and dividends/cap gains (around $3,000).  How do I split the unearned income between two state income filings?  Four months in one state and 8 months in the other state.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Each state return sections you must indicate the taxpayer was a part year resident. When you are in each part year state return, you will be asked about the income categories and allocation.  Be sure to enter only the amount of interest in each state that should be taxed to that state.

See the image below.  This example in the MO state return interview (each state may look somewhat different, however you will be asked about income allocation in a part year resident state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies