Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from NYC to NJ in September but working in NYC. On NJ return, how do I fill out the double taxation section?

Let's assume

I worked in NYC the whole year for a total income of $48k
I lived in NYC for the first 8 months then moved to NJ
I only paid NY state taxes and NYC local taxes
I earned 34k while living in NYC (6k is from a job that ended before I moved)
I earned 14k while living in NJ for the last 4 months
I only paid NY taxes on my W2s for the whole year

I completed my part-year resident NY return and now I'm stuck on the "Credit for taxes paid to another state" section. It asks for the "other state information" where I can choose either a state or jurisdiction. What do I choose? NY state or NYC the locality? Does it matter?

Then it asks for the "double taxed income while a resident of NJ" and the "tax paid to NYS" (or NYC if I choose that). I am not certain what to enter here. How do I fill this out? Do I fill out the "tax paid to NY" with the total taxes I paid the whole year to both the state and the locality?

And one more question to make sure I'm covering all my bases. Do I have to fill out just the two returns other than federal - NY and NJ part-year resident tax returns?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Moved from NYC to NJ in September but working in NYC. On NJ return, how do I fill out the double taxation section?

Since all your income was earned in New York, prepare your Part-Year New Jersey return first.

If New Jersey wants to tax part of your NY income (based on residency), then in the New York return, when asked about 'credit for taxes paid to another state' enter the amount that New Jersey wants to tax you and indicate New Jersey.

Click this link for more info on How to file a Part-Year Resident Return.

[Edited 03/18/2020 | 3:33 PM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Since all your income was earned in New York, prepare your Part-Year New Jersey return first.

If New Jersey wants to tax part of your NY income (based on residency), then in the New York return, when asked about 'credit for taxes paid to another state' enter the amount that New Jersey wants to tax you and indicate New Jersey.

Click this link for more info on How to file a Part-Year Resident Return.

[Edited 03/18/2020 | 3:33 PM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
petrelwz
Returning Member

According to the information in the link you provided How to file a Part-Year Resident Return. 

"We suggest you prepare the return for your former state first, followed by the return for the state you currently live in."

Shouldn't a person file the Part-Year NY return first? And then file the return from the resident state (NJ)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies